Ensure the quality of your mobile app using Functional Testing.
How functional testing can improve the quality of mobile and web applications?
Mobile and web applications have been gaining prominent recognition in recent times. The advancements in internet technology accompanied with the emerging development in mobile device features and functionality have been responsible to a large extent for the increasing popularity of mobile applications. It could be noted that these factors are also the reasons for which businesses are shifting their focus towards mobile apps as a preferred channel for reaching out to customers and selling their products and services.
The interactivity of online platforms and an increase in the user base for smartphones, has resulted in different strategic approaches for conducting businesses. However it is essential for organizations to conduct the necessary testing measures for new apps among which the most important is functional testing. Usually , the QA team performs functional testing as part of Manual Testing while using emulators and simulators.
In the following discussion let us explore functional testing in detail along with different test cases and the ways in which functional testing techniques could be able to ensure a higher quality of a mobile app.
It all starts with functional testing!
The basic definition of functional testing is identified in a review of the different features that are provided in the app. It is the most basic activity which is meant to validate that the application can meet the different specified requirements and can fulfill the various needs of the users. Functional testing for mobile apps could be applied efficiently in the case of Android as well as iOS apps of all variants such as a native app, hybrid app, and mobile web apps.
The common questions that arise in the course of functional testing for mobile application include references to the extent of integration of features, work-ability of features and flexibility for users to perform a specific task. Functional testing is carried out on the basis of requirements, and hence the test cases for almost every feature of the application are developed for functional testing alongside referring to the flexibility for their integration. The test cases are applied for every new update release for the mobile application.
Doing it right!
The basic steps for conducting functional testing could be illustrated clearly in the following manner.
- The functionalities or features of the mobile app which have to be tested need to be recognized.
- Develop and organize the input data needed for testing functionality of the application
- Outline the desired output for the different functionalities on the grounds of established specifications
- Develop test cases for different recognized functionalities
- Run the test cases on the specific build for the application
- Review the test case results for accuracy
- The updates for different features of the app could be evaluated with modification of the already established test case in order to comply with the revised specifications as well as the requirements of the app.
Many factors in play!
Other than the above-mentioned pointers in functional testing , it is also essential to consider various factors which can influence the testing process. The factors which impact the functional testing of mobile applications can be outlined as follows.
- The category of the application is a foremost determinant for the approach of functional testing selected for the mobile app. The category of the application could range across the business, lifestyle, banking, education, games, and many other criteria.
- The target audience of the application, i.e., whether business or consumer also has a prominent influence on determining test cases for functional testing of mobile apps.
- One of the most important factor is mode of distribution such as Apple App Store, Direct distribution by SDKs and Google Play Store.
Improving the app quality !
Now in order to understand how proper functional testing of a mobile app can lead to better results in terms of quality , it would be reasonable to go through the outcomes of different tests in functional testing.
- The first positive outcome of functional testing could be identified in the verification of the behavior of the mobile application on different devices as well as telecom carriers such as 3G, 4G or Volte.
- The integration of the application with other common applications such as payment apps which shall be able to send a notification through mail or SMS in the device’s supported mode.
- Functional testing helps in ensuring that the page scrolls are adequate and the ending parts of the page are loaded appropriately on time.
- The sharing flexibility of the application could be verified through functional testing in case of apps which could share information through other supported options on the device such as Mail, messengers or drive.
- Functional testing also helps in validating the capability of the device to store, send and receive information for other applications while running the concerned mobile app.
- One of the most important aspects includes payment transactions supported by the application. Support of the mobile app for online payment, PayPal and debit/credit card could be taken into account. This would validate the ability of the app for conducting financial transactions.
- Another significant is the multitasking mode of the app. This would refer to the capability of the application to run in a split window that can facilitate the consecutive execution of two different applications.
- Verification of the proper error messages is important.
The most basic example for functional testing’s application in determining the quality of a mobile app can be taken in the review of login and logout feature of the application. The registration link should be functional along with facility for the user to provide values to the mandatory fields and register on the app. The following step would include reference to activation of the account with supported modes such as email and phone number. These factors from the example case could be reasonable indications towards the capability of a mobile app in different areas that can be suitable for the needs of users.
After all, an app that stands out to the expectations of users can be accounted as a good quality app!Follow us on
Share the post